LC-1 Narrowband Simulation on ECU

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

amreboot

LC-1 Narrowband Simulation on ECU

Post by amreboot »

I have searched between here, 300zcxlub.com, and Innovate's forum for information.
I have gathered some information and so far I have bits and pieces of what to do.
So a couple questions...

Exactly which wire do I tap into from the LC-1 to the stock o2 harness?
I have the n/a harness on my z31, so the colors are on the o2 side are 2 whites and 1 black.
The 1 black wire goes to a white wire on the engine harness side. And from what I've read, that is the one tap into, correct?
Also, having an n/a harness but using a turbo ecu... does this change anything as far as which wire to use?

Lastly, I am going to need to program the LC-1 voltage offsets for the aux out.
Does anyone know the correct offsets that Nissan uses?
My ECU is an 88 turbo ecu.

Thanks in advance.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/amreboot/Misc/shift_fun_small.jpg[/img]
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

From the LC-1 manual

a. Red 12V supply
b. Blue Heater Ground
c. White System Ground
d. Yellow Analog out 1
e. Brown Analog out 2
f. Black Calibration wire

YELLOW (Analog out 1) and/or BROWN (Analog out 2) can be connected
to the analog inputs of other devices such as data loggers, ECUs, or gauges.

The default analog outputs are as follows: Analog output one is 1.1V = 14 AFR and .1V = 15 AFR. This is a simulated narrowband signal.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

LC-1 manual is on your PC when you install logworks

NA/TT ECUs have same wiring for O2 narrowband sensor
amreboot

Post by amreboot »

Right, its hooked up as it is now, and the brown wire is going to red DB gauge is properly and accurately running well.

I guess I should have phrased my question better.

Exactly which wire from the engine harness do I tap the aux yellow wire to?

N/As use a different o2 sensor than the Turbos do.
The N/As use a Zerconium while the Turbos use a Titania.

The connector is different from N/A to Turbo.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/amreboot/Misc/shift_fun_small.jpg[/img]
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

pin 24 is O2 sensor input on ECU

how is TT/NA connectors different (apart from knock sensor wire?)
amreboot

Post by amreboot »

I will take a pic of my junker turbo harness (I used for doing the n/a to turbo conversion) and compare it to the n/a.

Also, you keeping mentioning TT. This is a z31, so single turbo. I hope that doesn't change anything for pin 24 on the ECU.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

sorry keep thinking Z32 designation for some reason. meant just the standard VG30ET should be same as VG30E apart from knock sensor wire
roastin300

Re: LC-1 Narrowband Simulation on ECU

Post by roastin300 »

Im actually going to be doing exactly this in about 2 hours today. Just find the pin at the ECU that is the O2 sensor signal, and do a continuity check from that wire at the ECU to the wires at the O2 sensor harness under the hood. You should be able to figure out which one is ground with the continuity checker (go from wire to battery or chassis ground) as well as use a test light to figure out which one is the heater wire.

I am considering putting a 3 way switch in under the dash where I can switch from the stock O2 sensor to the LC-1 narrowband analog 1 output(yellow wire) to see if I can notice differences while driving and tuning. Do you see any issues with running a 3 way switch to choose the signal input? Outside pins would be each signal and inside pin would be to the ECU. So I would essentially be able to flip both ways and change the connection, or switch to the middle and turn it off for whatever reason if I ever wanted to.
amreboot

Post by amreboot »

I did eventually find the signal wire to the ECU and started using the simulation mode.
The ECU did read the simulation. However, because I don't know the exact ranges of volts and what not, the car tended to choke quite a bit, forcing the car to run lean when it didn't need to be.

So I gave up the on the idea and just kept open loop. I don't care about gas mileage and a "perfect" mixture while cruising.
roastin300

Post by roastin300 »

Hmmmm. My stock O2 feedback works fine and it bounces back and forth while cruising. Even then I am only getting 14mpg on E85 and it stalls out quite a bit and has troubles running after it starts.

The narrowband simulation from the LC1 is as follows:

1.1V = 14 A/F Ratio
0.1V = 15 A/F Ratio

Or the other way around. Either way that is the calibrated range the Analog output 1 performs. I have a switch installed now to go back and forth from the LC1 and the stock O2. Too snowy here in our lovely state of Colorado to test it just yet. But I am interested to see the difference, if any.
RXXXII

Post by RXXXII »

roastin300 wrote:Hmmmm. My stock O2 feedback works fine and it bounces back and forth while cruising. Even then I am only getting 14mpg on E85 and it stalls out quite a bit and has troubles running after it starts.

The narrowband simulation from the LC1 is as follows:

1.1V = 14 A/F Ratio
0.1V = 15 A/F Ratio

Or the other way around. Either way that is the calibrated range the Analog output 1 performs. I have a switch installed now to go back and forth from the LC1 and the stock O2. Too snowy here in our lovely state of Colorado to test it just yet. But I am interested to see the difference, if any.
I live in colorado also.. my rb26 o2 sensors are bad and I was thinking of replacing both of the o2 sensors in the turbo outlets with Innovate Widebands with the db gauges. That way I can see AFRs from both banks of my RB26. The only problem I theorize that will come into play is the fact that most widebands aren't installed that close to the turbo because of heat and the speed of airflow. 2... I don't know if the simulation narrowband output will allow the car to run correctly, but 480+USD per O2 sensor is a bit steep... so 2 lc-1's sound like a good plan...