ENT file creation

Questions that get asked a lot.

Moderator: Matt

Eric

ENT file creation

Post by Eric »

Matt, or anyone else....how does the ENT-file creation work exactly ?

I never really figured this out and I can't find anything about it in the documentation either.
For some reason when I try to create an ENT file of a BIN-file, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work once I load the newly created ENT-file into the Nistune board using my base-programmer.
So maybe I'm just doing it wrong as I find the whole procedure a little bit confusing: you have to load the to be converted BIN-file into Nistune and the select an existing ENT-file to do the conversion.
Especially the last step I don't understand...why do I have to select an existing ENT-file ? isn't the software supposed to do this ?

-Eric
Matt
Site Admin

Re: ENT file creation

Post by Matt »

Documents need updating

To create ENT file:

1. Load address file
2. Load tune file
3. File – Create ENT file
4. Select base ENT file from ROM pack matching tune file
5. Creates an updated ENT file with your tune in it

Address file must match ENT file and BIN file

Nistune simply takes the ENT file and copies the maps from the currently loaded BIN (defined in the address file) over the top and then saves it
Eric

Post by Eric »

ok, thanks....this explains why it never worked for me :)

I had a different interpretation of the process: I thought the ENT-file creation would convert/patch a BIN-file that didn't exist in the ENT-file library yet, with the Nistune communication routines.

Is there any way to do this Nistune communication routine code patching process on a BIN-file? (manually ?)

-Eric
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Patching is quite complicated and cant be done (easily) by the end user. It involves disassembling the code, searching for patch locations and then finding the memory locations. Patcher then gets those locations in the actual BIN and replaces code

I'm happy to ENT anything emailed through if that is needed