NIStune video tutorial

Questions that get asked a lot.

Moderator: Matt

skylinegtrhr

NIStune video tutorial

Post by skylinegtrhr »

I have one suggestion:

As picture worth thousand words video must even more. so it would be good promotion for NIStune that Matt and Pete make some video guides like they have in written form.

It would eliminate a lot of questions that beginners are asking here in the forum and also everyone can learn something new.

It would be great if it would start from basic car adjustments to mapping on dyno ( I would personally especially like to watch ignition mapping on dyno as it is art not science and would like to see how You are doing it).

And also it would be great for somebody who is doing something for first time especially if something don't going as it is written in manual ( than You first suspect that You didn't understood how is it written but video would be direct explanation) and many times problem is somewhere else.

Also promotional effect would be great as people like to see something in action,
now there is not a lot about NIStune on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... stune&aq=f
except these great but two years old videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/NYCZ31

So my suggestion is that You use some software that is recording display in video format so it can be seen what exactly are You doing from adjusting K factor VQ maps etc.
Also You can record dyno sessions and put both dyno display and laptop display of same session to have complete recording of dyno procedure .
Last edited by skylinegtrhr on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PL

Re: NIStune video tutorial

Post by PL »

Hey Brian,

Couldn't agree more. But I don't think you quite understand just how busy we are and how long doing video production takes!

We've been planning a series of videos for ages. But bottom line is that it's a big job, so we still haven't got anything happening. I've shot a bunch of install videos (using DSLR and macro lens) but haven't had time to edit them into useable form.

Certainly some vids for basic dyno tuning would be good, and they will come. Just gotta line up a car, some dyno time, a cameraman who knows about shooting video AND cars. And then some editing. I really don't wanna do something half arsed. Unfortunately neither Matt nor myself are into video editing, so that'd have to be farmed out too.

Jez from H Dev was gonna put something together. He may have more contacts who could help him (read: friends with skillz) but at present Matt and I are kinda on our own. And every time I start planning a series of videos I realise the enormity of the task and get bogged down and depressed!

Maybe I should just do something half arsed! :(

PL
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Glad that idea is already there :) ...

Yes professionally edited material would be great, I have some friends who are doing it for living so I know that You need a ton of raw material to make something presentable that's why I suggest that You start to make recording especially with display recording to have something to do with.

And to many of us who now have some knowledge even these raw material would be excellent source for further learning.
louiswun

Post by louiswun »

good suggession !
URG8RB8

Post by URG8RB8 »

Would like to see this as well.
DanNY

Post by DanNY »

maybe do something half arse to get people in the "know" and once people can understand what needs to be done someone else can make a decent video.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Will do over the christmas period
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

I'm not sure I care as much about a video presentation of nistune as much as I might care for a chm help file with up to date descriptions when the software is updated, or a tooltips type blurb with tables (i.e. a small single line below the window title for crank enrich that says "fuel used during cranking represented in % duty cycle" or similar.)
Videos on how to tune a car would be nice, but they do exist for other systems and tuning itself is universal.

I am not saying nistune is not intimidating nor would benefit from a video, but wouldn't the massive resources attached to explaining things via a video production better be utilized elsewhere making the software more self explanatory and intuitive?

Nistune is getting larger and more popular, I wonder if you guys have ever considered "outsourcing" something like this to the user base with incentives in contest format (i.e. free board of choice for the best production submitted, a etc) or just in general offering to refund the purchase for someone who checks first and submits a usable video within x months of purchase? Maybe it would work out "cheaper" for you in the long run? I could be totally off base and it highly depends on your internal costs and value of your time.
PL

Post by PL »

I agree - a "floating tooltip" sort of deal would be great. As you may have seen elsewhere, Matt is doing full-time NIStune now. So once he gets through his "to do" list I think we can expect to start seeing stuff like this.

I'll go beat him now! ;)

PL
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

I hope that promotional aspect of video materials will be left for later :)

Tutorial video would be great first for beginners about initial base settings,
and rest of us will benefit of seeing dyno session especially ignition parts as it is art so You have to watch master to be able to learn more ...
PL

Post by PL »

The IGN map tuning is relatively straightforward as it's the same as tuning any engine/EFI system. I'd like to cover basic stuff like connecting and what to expect at first start-up. Particularly when changing AFM/injectors and having to edit load scales.

PL