Something specific to Z31 applications....

Questions that get asked a lot.

Moderator: Matt

Dan-TSS

Something specific to Z31 applications....

Post by Dan-TSS »

I was just reviewing proper applications and configurations and came acrossed this. Can someone verify before I go through extra steps that possibly may not be required?

The scenario is this...

The original chassis and wiring is an '88Turbo.

Initially, I planned to add one wire(color code "Y") leading from the O2 sensor to pin#115 at the ecu in order to use the n/a o2 sensor(22mm Zirconium sensor). This is the oem n/a O2 sensor wiring design. Turbo's merely terminate this wire to chassis ground whereas n/a's send the ground back to the ecu pin#115.
*I realize the other differences with regards to the idle controls(FICD/IAC on the drivers side of the upper plenum), those have been already determined to be left unplugged or blocked off.

The ecu being used is an '88n/a ecu with Nistune installed.

~Here is where I'm getting a little confused.... I recently came acrossed this information on Jasons website.....

The PROM chip on 88-89 NA and turbo ECU’s can be swapped. That is, if you want an 88-89 ECU and would like to use a Zirconium type oxygen sensor you can put the turbo PROM in the NA ECU. This should save a lot of time in swapping out the sensor bung, sensor, and re-wiring.

-Does this mean that I can load a '88 turbo image file into the romulator and be able to run the '88t on it's original 17mm Titania O2 sensor with-out doing any wiring changes when using my '88n/a Nistune ecu? Is this what he is saying?

An explanation and clarifiaction would be Excellent!
Dan 8)
Jason84NA2T

Re: Something specific to Z31 applications....

Post by Jason84NA2T »

Dan-TSS wrote:The PROM chip on 88-89 NA and turbo ECU’s can be swapped. That is, if you want an 88-89 ECU and would like to use a Zirconium type oxygen sensor you can put the turbo PROM in the NA ECU. This should save a lot of time in swapping out the sensor bung, sensor, and re-wiring.

-Does this mean that I can load a '88 turbo image file into the romulator and be able to run the '88t on it's original 17mm Titania O2 sensor with-out doing any wiring changes when using my '88n/a Nistune ecu? Is this what he is saying?

Dan 8)
No, the sensor is specific to the ECU hardware... not the code. This is the critical part to read: "...if you want an 88-89 ECU and would like to use a Zirconium type oxygen sensor you can put the turbo PROM in the NA ECU"
Jason84NA2T

Post by Jason84NA2T »

Dan-TSS wrote:The PROM chip on 88-89 NA and turbo ECU’s can be swapped. That is, if you want an 88-89 ECU and would like to use a Zirconium type oxygen sensor you can put the turbo PROM in the NA ECU. This should save a lot of time in swapping out the sensor bung, sensor, and re-wiring.

Dan 8)
No, the sensor is specific to the ECU hardware... not the code. This is the critical part to read: "...if you want an 88-89 ECU and would like to use a Zirconium type oxygen sensor you can put the turbo PROM in the NA ECU"
Jason84NA2T

Post by Jason84NA2T »

Dan 8)