Guidelines for Beta Testing AFR autotuner and timing

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Guidelines for Beta Testing AFR autotuner and timing

Post by Matt »

AFR Auto Tuner
Operations - AFR AutoTune

1. Set the AFRs that you require in this window
(You can copy/paste AFRs into this table from the Fuel map if you wish)
- Updated: Now there is a copy button to grab target AFRs from your fuel map

2. Open up your fuel map to observe changes as they are made

3. Save your settings for next time

4. Updates - This window specifies how many AFR updates are required on the current selected cell before AFR adjustments are made. Updates for most wideband units are every 30ms, so 5 x 30ms = 150ms by default before it kicks in for the current cell

The reason for this is that I found that whilst adjusting AFRs that there is some delay after the change for it to reach the wideband sensor (when using techedge). You can adjust this to make it work appropriately

5. Range 5% or 2%. This is the range that the current AFR must be in for no more changes to occur. This allows a raw tune then fine tune afterwards

6. Enable autotune then modify your AFR window and fuel map and see how it goes making changes to the fuel map based on feedback. I suggest monitoring filtered values rather than target AFRs to see the effect on changes

Update: Select areas of the map and use space bar to 'grey' out areas of the map that you dont want changed (latest beta versions)

Knock monitoring
Operations - Knock / Warning Panel

1. Select external knock
(Note: ECU knock - only functional on some ECUs and sampling rate needs to be improved for better detection)

2. Below the external field is the sensor which you will use to trigger the knock count.

If you use a wideband unit or DLP A/D converter then you select one of the AUX inputs you have available and connect it to your knock device

Select this AUX input from the drop down list. Next to 'external' are two fields. The LHS field is the AUX input value (eg voltage of sensor detected) and the RHS field is adjustable trigger input value. Eg you can set to 3 volts trigger value

3. When the read AUX value exceeds the trigger AUX value set then the 'knock count' value will increase

4. Once there are a certain amount of knock counts on a single cell, and this exceeds the knock count setting (default vlaue 5) then when the 'Timing Map Adjust' field is ticked, the timing map value will decrement by 1 for each time knock count is reached. The knock count will reset internally (so if knock count is 25 on a particular cell, then it would have decremented 5 times)

5. Alarm sounds are now a short blip each time knock or other limits are exceeded. You can set limits for temperature, rpm etc. Useful also as a speed warning device when you are going too fast :D

6. To obverse the knock count for the timing map, the knock count register has been made available in the 'Wideband Input Tracer' available under the operations menu

Display knock count 'Current' and this will show you how many knock counts were detected for each cell. I'm sure that is gonig to be useful. You can also look at the Fuel/Timing maps and click the 'Knock' tickbox to view in red cells which have knock count occur at least once on them

Knock is now also recorded in the log file as a small red marker at the top of the log. This can be used for playback which will display knock on the maps and in the warning during playback

WARNING!!!
The factory ECU knock detection may also detect knock in certain parts of the map where the knock flag is set. You may wish to disable knock flags in the timing map or disconnect factory knock sensor if you wish to only retard timing from the map within NIStune

Also - The knock detect/sense facility provided here to retard your timing map is dependent on your triggers and knock count being set correctly in addition to your external knock unit being detected correctly

When tuning, still use knock detection headphones and dont rely just on NIStune to determine your knocking for you - this is beta functionality

Obviously try to avoid knock in the first place, and use this facility as a backup rather than primarily for tuningm avoid any leadup to engine damage. If you start increasing timing and do not notice an increase in torque or can hear audiable pinging then start pulling your timing back

Let me know how your testing goes and what needs to be improved and if it is useful to you. I've tried to get this as bug free (I have no problems listed currently) during simulation testing so it is usable but need to get my car back on the road for other testing

thanks
Matt
Last edited by Matt on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that guy

what do i need to have to use this feature?

Post by that guy »

I wanted to know what is needed for the autotune AFR. I have nistune t3 board ka24de, I downloaded the beta, but have'nt installted yet, and i have an innovative wideband but my aux3 table is'nt set up but my wide band has a com port and reads but it says 32 volts all the time. and my o2 sensor is disconnected.
that guy

what do i need to have to use this feature?

Post by that guy »

I wanted to know what is needed for the autotune AFR. I have nistune t3 board ka24de, I downloaded the beta, but have'nt installted yet, and i have an innovative wideband but my aux3 table is'nt set up but my wide band has a com port and reads but it says 32 volts all the time. and my o2 sensor is disconnected.
Mads B (dk)

Post by Mads B (dk) »

im having truble gething this to work... nothing seems to haben

Im running ca18det and innovate lc1 wideband
1991 Nissan S13 CA18DET EURO Spec.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'll need a bit more information...

Does your Innovate WB now report the correct AFRs in the wideband window?

Have you opened up the Auto tuner window and set your desired AFRs?

Then ticked the enabled window?

If you open up your fuel map, and watch this, does it adjust around the cells that the map trace cursor is on when your AFRs are 5-10% above below what they are on the auto tune window?
iaredam

Post by iaredam »

Will it be possible in the future to have the AFR Autotuner adjust the VE tables for the U13 & S14?
Mads B (dk)

Post by Mads B (dk) »

HI

Yes i have correct wideband value in nistune comparede to the wideband innovate gauge

I have opened the Autotuner windows and ticked the enabled in left buttom corner, i have also been watching the fuelmap to see if anything happens, but cant see anythings changes :? i have mainly test it at idle

is there anything in the configuration menu the needs to be corrected when i wants to use autotune ?

Regards Mads
Mads B (dk)

Post by Mads B (dk) »

Stupid me :oops:

O2 flags were on in fuelmap

but i had off ticked the FEEDBACK SWITCH - O2 (Bit 5) ?
Mads B (dk)

Post by Mads B (dk) »

it working, but it cant go low enough (not lower then 0 in raw value)

(this is a test map)
Attachments
0.JPG
the lowest value autotune will do
(196.62 KiB) Downloaded 13795 times
127.JPG
highest value autotune will do
(193.67 KiB) Downloaded 13795 times
128.JPG
lowest possible value i can do
(198.87 KiB) Downloaded 13795 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Your fuel map range is 0 - 127 (raw values)

Now when tuning, you adjust your K constant so that when you hit the top of the fuel map, that you are supplying sufficient fuel (at value of 127)

However you may find when doing this when you are at the bottom of the map and you already are at 0 but need to run leaner, you have run out of resolution on the map

I've spoken to a number of tuners who have hit this problem. This is where you can reduce your injection latency to try and make it leaner at the bottom end without having much effect on the top end

Once you have both ends sorted with the K constant and latency then you should be able to use the auto tune to adjust the fuel map from there against what you have set in your target map

For ECUs with the VE map, I have an enhancement item listed to do this. The changes are minor so I should be able to do this soon
raddy

Post by raddy »

Hi
I have another autotune problem. In my case are values in map changed, but without any affect on real AFR. ECU continue using last value that was in mapr before autotune enabling. autotune continue then with value raising/lowering to the limits, as no AFR feedback is possible. Then when disabling autotune and manually changed used cell, ECU begin use it with its actual value.

I disconected O2 sensor, disabled O2 flags and bit 5 flag. I can set any AFR manually with correct real AFR feedback, but each time I try to change AFR automatically, it changing value in right direction, but ECU dont use it....

I have VEMS wideband and its correctly reported in AFR window/tracer.

Thank you for help
regards
Radovan
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thanks for the feedback. I'll have another look today
raddy

Post by raddy »

Hi Matt, any news regarding to autotune issue?

Thanks
Radovan
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

yeah its broken as you mention. im suprised its been this long until someone has tried it

explains why my R31 wasnt changing fuel when we last tested it...

basically its not uploading the changes to the emulator/board only to the maps inside the software. I've done the fix tonight and will have that out in the next release (should be a beta out next week if all testing is well)
raddy

Post by raddy »

thanks for update. just additional question: if I want to autotune just a specific part of fuel map (and my real AFR at higher load does not correspond with calculated AFR in fuel map), it is OK to set unused part of autotune map to 0 or without value?