Starting out with Nistune, ECU question.

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

MAGP

Starting out with Nistune, ECU question.

Post by MAGP »

Hi, thanks for approving my membership to the forum.

I'm just starting out with Nistune, I will purchase a license in the next couple of weeks, but have a question about the basic hardware requirements. As a bit of a fill in I have been tuning GMH vehicles for a fair while now and have 1 of each ECM/PCM for each model engine combination so I can slip my ECM/PCM into a car and tune off that, then when the tune is done I extract the tune off my hardware and burn an eeprom with the tune and fit it to the car. I was wondering if I can do the same with Nistune, e.g. setup a RB30 ECU (Commodore/Skyline) with a type 1 board and use that to tune any vehicle that would use a type 1 board, and then do the same with a type 2, type 3 etc. That way I would have 5 ECUs ready to go and once the tune is done I can burn an eeprom and fit it to the car leaving my ECUs ready to tune another car. Is this possible or does each car require a daughter board to be fitted?

Cheers.
Michael.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Starting out with Nistune, ECU question.

Post by Matt »

We prefer daughterboards to be fitted to the vehicles, so they are plug in and tune but yes it is a cheaper option to have a fitted ECU, tune and then burn to chip afterwards (or use an emulator)

However given this, none of the feature pack parameters will be available for burn to EPROM (firmware will not be available not on the boards). So the ECUs you work with will need to have original Nissan code (not feature pack versions with TIM, launch, flex etc)
MAGP

Re: Starting out with Nistune, ECU question.

Post by MAGP »

OK, that makes sense.
Thanks.