Using the VTC to kick VVL on B13 ecu

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

BlueRB240

Using the VTC to kick VVL on B13 ecu

Post by BlueRB240 »

B13 ecu + B13 SR20DE harness working on a SR20VE. Do you still need to jumper inside the ecu? or do I just use EGR wires? not too sure about it from reading the documentation.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Using the VTC to kick VVL on B13 ecu

Post by Matt »

You need to solder the EGR output pin to the VVL wire on the SR20VE if using this engine (by bridging the wires together inside the ECU)
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

ok got it.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

nevermind I used the wrong plug FTL.

For anyone doing this look for this plug. Not my pic i just found it.

It's the small black plug. The other plug is gray and looks just like it thats for the AIV

Still getting disconnected while connected. Harness grounds are on.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

Still couldn't get it to work. I have 12v key on power going to the selonoid and the egr ground side going to the selonoid. Is this right or wrong anyone.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

So basically you take a jumper wire and install it between PIN#102 (AIV Solenoid) and PIN#105 (EGR Canister & Control Valve) then you double up the Intake/Exhaust cam solenoid grounds and run them to #PIN 105 (EGR Canister & Control Valve) and the other two wires of the intake/exhaust solenoid run to a switched 12+ source? Would this be correct?
Attachments
b6b0c6755c2d4d4aa96f86bc8a8236bb.jpg
(267.55 KiB) Downloaded 6064 times
nistune vvl wireing.JPG
(77.58 KiB) Downloaded 6064 times
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

That's how I have it set up.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

BlueRB240 wrote:That's how I have it set up.
I think PIN#105 or PIN#102 (one of them) needs to be cut from the ECU board then bridged (similarly how its done for the RB25DET using a RB20DET ECU)....Matt is this perhaps the case?
Attachments
vvl wiring.JPG
(123.39 KiB) Downloaded 6059 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Pin 105 is bridged directly to 102. This is since there is no circuit on pin 105 in the B13 ECU. So just run a wire between them

The output should switch to ground (and activate the solenoid) when you see the VCT indicator in the 'consult view' panel active

Also set the TP enable parameter to 255

This is since I've found a bug with the VCT code recently where the TP MSB/LSB bytes need to be reversed in the FP firmware. This causes VCT to flicker and stay on at idle. Increasing TP enable to 255 then only makes the ECU use the RPM for VCT on/off and ignores TP

I've generated new code and re-tested the whole lot on one of the B13 SR20DE ECUs. I'm running through the others this week and will release a feature pack update
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Pin 105 is bridged directly to 102. This is since there is no circuit on pin 105 in the B13 ECU. So just run a wire between them

The output should switch to ground (and activate the solenoid) when you see the VCT indicator in the 'consult view' panel active

Also set the TP enable parameter to 255

This is since I've found a bug with the VCT code recently where the TP MSB/LSB bytes need to be reversed in the FP firmware. This causes VCT to flicker and stay on at idle. Increasing TP enable to 255 then only makes the ECU use the RPM for VCT on/off and ignores TP

I've generated new code and re-tested the whole lot on one of the B13 SR20DE ECUs. I'm running through the others this week and will release a feature pack update

I know in the USDM these pins are respectively for at least on (California) cars the following

PIN#102 (AIV Solenoid)
PIN#105 (EGR Canister & Control Valve)
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

I also tried to set the minimum speed to zero to see if I could get it to activate with a free rev and that didn't work. I did notice when I changed the load the VTC light would flicker on and off so I moved it to 255 and it stopped.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

I didn't change anything other than just going for a drive. You can't free rev to kick it I guess. I'm still getting a check sum error. Corruption detected on consult line. Also the off rpm I set to the max. Question is since the Nissan ecu can't do anything after 8k will the off rpm still work at the max rpm of 12k. Its not going to rev that high just 8k rpm.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

I'm running multiple windows open in nistune with the consult. Not sure if that's causing it to kick me off the real time consult. Also its 1st gen consult cable that is serial with a belkin serial to USB adapter I used when I got my nistune. Worked fine then if that helps
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Free rev wont work. Speed must be greater than minimum speed (0km/h) to activate

Effectively the RPM off will never be reached so VCT stays on once activated until below the activation point (on deceleration)

Info on consult corruption here:
http://nistune.com/docs/Installation_an ... ostics.pdf

Basically your data is getting garbled by engine noise. Later USB cables have filtering added to reduce its impact. But also check grounding of vehicle etc. If it didnt happen previously but does now, look at what has changed

The debug logs will show the corruption if you email me a log, I can show you where
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

I just checked and the debug was off. I forgot I did a fresh install of nistune. I'll get out to the car again in a few days and I'm sure it will crash on me again. Do I email the logs to enquiries@nistune.com ?