S14 Fan Control Issue (EDM 82F0F only)

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

kholdstare

S14 Fan Control Issue (EDM 82F0F only)

Post by kholdstare »

Hi all @nistune 8) Hi Matt

Car: European Nissan s14a
Engine: SR20DET, highly tuned
ECU # 23710-82F0F

I'm from Switzerland. That's on the other side of the planet. No, it's not sweden. It's the country with watches, cheese and banks :P

I bought Nistune some months ago. I bought it directly from nistune.com. I came already with feature pack 1.

The problem:
I can't get fan control to work. I can put whatever values from -20 to 200, 40, 45, 55, 60, also tried with 80, 85, 90, 95 or even 50 50 50 50 50 - whatever I enter the fan's won't come on. I tried nearly every digit combination possible, with speed level at 0, fan delay at 0.

The filtered values are set in the table as you can see in the attachment. It have to be a software issue, because:

- when I open 'consult' view and press air conditioner to on, clima compressor is working, fan are working at low speed, and in consult view is 'low fan' illuminated.

Can someone help please?

Thanks, Philipp
Attachments
fancontrol.JPG
(106.15 KiB) Downloaded 2770 times
Matt
Site Admin

Re: S14 FAN CONTROL won't work

Post by Matt »

Hi Philipp

Been through Switzerland on my previous travels. Nice country you have there :P

Anyway there is definitely a problem with the fan control not working so far I've tested 82F00 (the base tune for this file) and that works fine. I also tested 83F0F (the ADM version which we tested on here) and 80F0F (JDM version) and that works fine also. However the 'fan deactivate' delay parameter should be set to 5 by default

So there is an issue with only the EDM 82F0F variant but I'm not sure what at this point. All I know is that none of the 'flags' which enable the fan control are being switched on. I'll look at this one as a priority this week. It will require an update to the board unfortunately... and an update to the feature pack

There must be some difference between the EDM and JDM/ADM variants which stopped the fan control working.

Raised problem report here:
http://www.nistune.com/mantis/view.php?id=78
kholdstare

Re: S14 FAN CONTROL won't work

Post by kholdstare »

Hi Matt

Thanks for the support. At the moment I'd switched back to my self-made PWM fan controller.

There is also a second issue in active tests. Let me describe OEM fan control circuit first:

There are two relays for fan control. One for low, one for high. OEM fan has two DC coils. relay operating voltage is applied trough IGN+ (7.5 fused), switched by GND of ECU (or A/C control).

When low relay is switched the dc fan motor runs at low speed. For 'high', the second relay is switched on while low relay is still on. That means for high _both_ relay must be switched on.

Now in active tests 'control fan high' -> click -> run active test switches only the high relay, not both.

But that's only a minor issue.

Thanks, Philipp
Matt
Site Admin

Re: S14 Fan Control Issue (EDM 82F0F only)

Post by Matt »

Hi Philipp

I've treated this as a major priority issue. After reviewing the Feature Pack patcher for this particular ECU I have found that the fan control code is not called by the patcher for the dual fan setup (due to a bug in the patcher). Same problem is also in 80F0F (but the JDM ECUs only use single fan control so this is not such a problem)

What this means is that the dual Fan Control code is not available for this ECU with this code. Only single fan control is currently available

Since that version of the patcher the problem has been fixed and I've now released Feature Pack ROM pack 1.4 with the fix. To get this fix you will need to get your board reprogrammed (or email me directly for an exchange). I'll run through any other customers with the same firmware (from mid February 2015) and contact them regarding this issue (due to possible engine overheating)

Attached is an updated address file. Put this in your Documents\Nistune\Address folder to use it

You can enable Feedback Switch 3 - 'Bit2' to use single Fan control in the interim. I'll do an update of Nistune to provide this tickbox by default in the next build

Not sure with active test since that is separate code which I don't believe I have modified
Attachments
S14_SR20DET_512_E.adr
(6 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
kholdstare

Post by kholdstare »

Thanks Matt. How can I reprogramm my ecu without loosening all the settings the tuner made for my engine for? Do I need the address file or the complete .bin file of the new FP1 ROM File Pack 1.4 (EXE)?

EDIT:

address file does not work:

invalid instructions, line 161
VTC_RPM_ENABLE,&HE7D3,1,1,1,1,50,VTC Solenoid ON > min RPM

think you need to delete at least on '1,' it should look like this

VTC_RPM_ENABLE,&HE7D3,1,1,1,50,VTC Solenoid ON > min RPM

instead

VTC_RPM_ENABLE,&HE7D3,1,1,1,1,50,VTC Solenoid ON > min RPM
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I hadn't seen that error message here. Fixed the address files up with the new parameter
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

New release today with added single fan control added

Switch this on to use fans again in 82F0F (or upgrade to fixed 82F0F file in feature pack boards)
Attachments
S14A_EDM_Single_fan.png
(117.24 KiB) Downloaded 2720 times