Wideband signal into Nistune/laptop, how?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

LarsNY96

Wideband signal into Nistune/laptop, how?

Post by LarsNY96 »

Hi i am new here. :)
CA18DET Type 1 Board ECU

i dont understand how to hook up the wideband signals, so i can read them on Nistune software. Do i connect it to the ECU or the laptop?
I've read something about connecting the signal to an RS232/usb adapter to the computer.

and i can say that i'm not good in English, especially subjects concept, and other specical words :wink:
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Wideband signal into Nistune/laptop, how?

Post by Matt »

I got an email on this too. Here is my cut/paste reply
If you use one of the wideband devices listed on our website, then it will offer a direct PC connectivity option (via serial or USB)

Then have a look at the ‘wideband’ section in the Software Users manual for configuring it

There is no option to directly hook the 0-5 volt output of the wideband into the Nistune ECU
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

Lars, you need a cable like this one connected to the main signal cable on the back of the Wideband gauge (I got mine from ebay for like $20 usd):

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/p ... _cable.htm

And then a regular serial-port to USB adapter cable to hook it up directly to the computer. Once you install the driver for this cable and select in Nistune the correct COM port number (check device manager if you are not sure) your laptop will start reading the feed in real time from the Wideband and complement your Nistune logs.

If you are electronically savvy, you can attempt to make your own cable following the instructions from this thread:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21747

Good luck.
danielp11

Post by danielp11 »

depending on which wideband you are using it can be easier than others. ive personally found aem serial interface on there widebands to be a nightmare but thats just my personal experience. i use innovate widebands on all my cars due to the simplicity of getting them talking to nistune.

on innovate mts all you need to to is copy the mts folder into the correct location on your nistune installation (think its already present on the latest nistune installations) and innovate widebands already come supplied with there own serial output and cable which you can connect to with a standard usb to serial converter.

then on your nistune config its as easy as selecting innovate mts as your wideband selection and then once consult is connected just select connect to wideband.

i know this is very innovate specific but its the easiest most plug and play setup i have used so far.

thanks
maniades

Post by maniades »

Remember you will need a usb -> serial adapter that is valid for nistune. One with ftdi chipset. In the wideband section (other subforum), i have provided an amazon link to one that works ok.

Does this only happen with aem widebands, or is the same for others?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Its just that other cheaply made USB-serial cables are just that... cheap. They drop and mess up data packets due to poor design and construction or are more susceptible to noise. Its not just the AEM but just about anything which streams data can have it messed up