Feature Pack updates + Information thread

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Feature Pack updates + Information thread

Post by Matt »

Update: BNR32 Feature Pack 2 available. Same updates as I've done for R34 etc
- Boost control
- Boost by gear (2 x maps)
- Idle fuel table (tickbox)
- Latency vs voltage table (replacing latency parameter and voltage adjustment)

Looking at Z32 ECU next depending on how I figure out to drive PWM from the existing EGR output
soltek2002

Post by soltek2002 »

Hi Matt,

Is there any tuner/dealer in NZ who can do the upgrade of the ECU to have all the new features you have made in the last 4 years.
My board was installed in late 2013 and I missed out on most of the cool upgrades since then.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Most NZ workshops have a programmer. Would be a case of finding the closest one and contacting them (make sure you have your tune downloaded before the update, and then File > Import the tune afterwards)
https://www.nistune.com/workshops/australia/new-zealand
soltek2002

Post by soltek2002 »

Thanks Matt,

Car needs a retune anyway and may swap out for MAF and some bigger injectors. Will call around.
seb.racing

Post by seb.racing »

Hello

Again congratulations for your work, I am the evolution of Nistune for almost 10 years and I love the result accomplished.

But, I have a question, he are possible of make function the nistune with the function flexfluel on a ECU of CA18ET?

Bluebird T72 years 1990 european

thank you
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the feedback! With the models supported, I chose the most common ones. With CA18ET we do not sell many boards for that model (N13 CA18ET?) so I cannot justify the time to allocate to that vehicle sorry.
seb.racing

Post by seb.racing »

Matt wrote:Thanks for the feedback! With the models supported, I chose the most common ones. With CA18ET we do not sell many boards for that model (N13 CA18ET?) so I cannot justify the time to allocate to that vehicle sorry.
ok, thank for answer, We will see later with the evolution of my bluebird
To begin, I'll put 370cc injectors and adjusted wealth with an apexi safc, if it works :lol: :lol:
omnigear

Post by omnigear »

is the bnr32 feature pack 2 out of beta ?
Matt wrote:Update: BNR32 Feature Pack 2 available. Same updates as I've done for R34 etc
- Boost control
- Boost by gear (2 x maps)
- Idle fuel table (tickbox)
- Latency vs voltage table (replacing latency parameter and voltage adjustment)

Looking at Z32 ECU next depending on how I figure out to drive PWM from the existing EGR output
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes it is fine. Due next ROM pack once ER34/WC34 issues sorted
mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

Any update on some of the Boost control stuff on the Z32 ecu code?
I've just ordered another nistune board and may be waiting on this update so I can have the correct base image installed. Can anything less write the base image? I have a Willem Programmer.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I spent a solid week on working on the boost control for the Z32 ECU but had to abandon the project (read as week wasted unfortuantely).

After figuring out how the auxillary pulse processor chip works and programming it, I found that there are not enough resources (timers available to connect to a pin) to control PWM on this ECU unfortunately to run boost control.

Willem programmer cannot program these boards (used to be able to with some modifications, but controlling the lines was very flaky on these units, so we had to make our own programmer)
omnigear

Post by omnigear »

Is it possible to use an adruino and its shields to modernized the ecu?
mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

Matt wrote:I spent a solid week on working on the boost control for the Z32 ECU but had to abandon the project (read as week wasted unfortuantely).

After figuring out how the auxillary pulse processor chip works and programming it, I found that there are not enough resources (timers available to connect to a pin) to control PWM on this ECU unfortunately to run boost control.

Willem programmer cannot program these boards (used to be able to with some modifications, but controlling the lines was very flaky on these units, so we had to make our own programmer)
Oh no! What a bummer.

Any alternative Ideas? Are most of the tables and logic there but it’s just the PWM you can’t do?
Wonder if we could use all those nice tables and easy interface but just change the output to require an external board/mod. Any expansion we could take off the nistune board? Output a 0-5v based on duty required and do the PWM outboard?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Arduino cannot be used and itself cannot run a PWM output to run a solenoid (it can do PWM but needs external high current drivers to run a solenoid). However the problem is more with interfacing to the ECU I/O bus (16 address lines, 8 data lines) and setting up a memory mapped area to control one device from another

The auxillary I/O chip is an old school programmable logic controller. It has a set of timers, pins and I/O control. You setup a scheduler and use it with timers to control I/O. It runs the 6 injectors and coil outputs, which uses most of the resources. AAC valve is also controlled by it and what I was using the logic to copy to drive a PWM.

However AAC uses two different registers from memory to run the setup. To run boost control as PWM from this chip I needed an output which was already available in the ECU, and spare registers to work with. You then adjust one of the registers to control the duty cycle (and another register for the frequency) which is then your PWM

Z32 ECU has various outputs (EGR, AIV) and I was going to use the EGR one (from memory) since it went to this chip. Others like AIV were driven direct from the 6303 from memory and could not be setup as PWM.

Regardless I did not have enough resources to run to this chip to run the PWM.

If I want to run the PWM on a daughterboard itself, I will need to create a whole new board with the parts to run it. It require an external processor (PIC or Atmel for example) which is then memory mapped to the 16/8 bus lines and run the PWM from that processor. I also then need to add high current output drivers to operate it. It would be a larger board to run all this and would not fit in the ECU as it was now

Obviously it was a lot easier to use something already available in the ECU to do this, but everything is kind of already used
mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

I both enjoy and appreciate the detailed reply of what your finding. That's too bad resources are not available for such a handy function.
Are there any nistune ECU's that'll run an rb25 or z32 that have it? Or is it just the type 3/4/5?

Mark