NOS with nistune

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

unex

NOS with nistune

Post by unex »

hi everybody,
did anyone tried to run NOS with nistune?
bachig24u

Re: NOS with nistune

Post by bachig24u »

yes, wet kit.
unex

Post by unex »

bachig24u wrote:yes, wet kit.
how did you controlled ignition and afr on injection moment?
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

sorry you've lost me, not sure exactly what you need to know.

anything along the lines of,
how to tune for NOS powered engine, how to remap the ign advance to suit NOS in turbo charged engines, How to calculate fuel delivery changes when using NOS, or how to upload a calibration to suit drag racing with NOS?
unex

Post by unex »

sorry, my bad :)
I think none of these...
Lets say its not drag car, so, when you just driving around you have one ignition and fuel table and you are not using NOS, but when you decide to shot NOS and you need other ignition and fuel table (or some enrichment table to switch on). So my question was, how did you controlled this with nistune?
Hope this time is quite clear question :)
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Decide on the operating parameters such as, NOS operating rpm window, NOS TPS activation position, load and rpm points for NOS boost.

Tune the car with and without NOS.
Overlap maps and calibrate/configure the compromise, make adjustments to the NOS operation to suit compromise so NOS can not operate outside the given parameters.

Depending on the ECU (e.g. VLT / CR31), dual tunes can be configured and activated on TPS or NOS activation.

In the land down under there are hefty fines for using NOS or having NOS plumbed to the bottle in a street registered vehicle, so I tend not to answer any questions that will not comply to local law but I'm happy to set the car up for race only and you can drive it wherever ever you wish.
unex

Post by unex »

bachig24u wrote:Decide on the operating parameters such as, NOS operating rpm window, NOS TPS activation position, load and rpm points for NOS boost.
this is exactly what I am asking: how to do this with NISTUNE ? How to trigger NOS activation depending on those parameters? I have idea to use VCT activation for NOS activation (the car is without VCT). Still trying to think why this shouldnt work.
bachig24u wrote:Tune the car with and without NOS.
Overlap maps and calibrate/configure the compromise, make adjustments to the NOS operation to suit compromise so NOS can not operate outside the given parameters.
Compromises is not the best solution for me. I need two tables (for example use knock table for that) or I need to use some offsets. Still not figured out how to do that.
bachig24u wrote:In the land down under there are hefty fines for using NOS or having NOS plumbed to the bottle in a street registered vehicle, so I tend not to answer any questions that will not comply to local law but I'm happy to set the car up for race only and you can drive it wherever ever you wish.
I see you dont get me. I dont need basics, and the second thing is, that I am located in Europe, so we dont have any law restrictions for NOS :)
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

ok. in that case, the ECU must support an input so it switches to gear/knock map when NOS is activated.
not a nice way but that may be the only way.

you would need to mimic a sufficient knock input or gear map, maybe if you offer the intended ECU we may be able to offer more.

note: Nistune is only software and has no provisions at this stage for NOS configurations.
Topdog781

Post by Topdog781 »

A good way to do this Unex is to wire in a external ignition box with timing control. Such as the msd digital 6, on activation this will allow you to retard the timing up to 9 degrees I believe is the maximum. Your using a wet kit so your additional enrichment comes from the nitrous kit obviously.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

note: Nistune is only software and has no provisions at this stage for NOS configurations
It may be a possibility already

Using the Feature Pack firmware you can use the diagnostic input from the ECU to trigger usage of the flex fuel + ignition maps

This lets you potentially hook up a NOS switch to the input and use extra fuel and timing on the fly. This is available for a select set of ECUs so far, with more to come
unkn0wn

Post by unkn0wn »

Can you use a Nistune FP to define when NOS can spray, or will it only let you switch map based on an input?

I was watching a video online of a workshop who setup 2 stage NOS on a laggy SR20.

the two stage would activate under a certain rpm and boost, and disconnect when boost was building
it would also fire in a quick shot of nos if you stabled the acelerator

looked really cool.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Would only do it on input at the moment. I don't have a huge demand for NOS to write triggering code.