More updates on things...

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

More updates on things...

Post by Matt »

Heres the status of the boards as current

Programming boards
There was an issue with programming certain images into the boards using the Willem programmer. I found that the parallel port control lines were the cause.

Anyone wishing to reprogram their boards will require an adaptor board for their Willem programmer. This is a simple board which will clean up the signals required for NIStune boards. It also provides 8 to 16 bit converter for Type 3/4 boards.

The programmer provided will take in .ENT (Encoded NIStune Files) which will program using the Willem programmer and adaptor. The boards have a single jumper which lets you put it into program mode

We will be updating the schematic and PCB for the programmer board next week and will get some made up.

Programming is only required for firmware updates or changing ECU ROM images in the boards

Type 1 (6802/6303) USB board
- Rev3 uses the FTDI 245BL chip and has a romulator socket plus supports NVRAM. Six of these were made and work successfully and are in some peoples cars (S13 CA18, J30 VG30)

- We since designed Rev4 using the FTDI USB 245RL chip which requires less PCB components, removed the romulator socket and turned 4 programming jumpers into 1. I have built up 4 of 6 prototype boards which work except for one thing, last week I found this new FTDI chip is causing the ECU to cycle when the USB plug is inserted and upon initial power on . This occurs during FTDI chip RESET. It could be a potential problem with these new chips and might have to go back to the old ones. FTDI is looking into the issue. Hopefully we have a solution soon.

- Another firmware issue was found on CA18 and a new Patch Rev 11 will be released shortly to fix this issue. It only occurs on some ECUs when the ECU RAM is not initialised to zero. I now check the memory contents and then clear it and flag it as cleared. Only needed if the ECU doesn't run on Patch Rev 10.

Type 2 (6303) Consult board
- This seems to be working nicely on R32 and Z32 vehicles. There are some consult drop out issues with latest 0.9095 to look at. I am trying out our first U12 KA24E ECU with this board also

Type 3 (7700) Consult board
- These are 2x20 pin connectors. Current testing shows they work nicely on S13, U13 and S14 models. TBD how the Z32 16 bit version goes

We are looking to expand our vehicle set with these boards which will require a PLD update. Some ROM images have no spare room for patch code, so looking at mapping in spare NVRAM area to put our code - PLD updates complete, to be tested

Type3a (7700) 1/2 size ECU boards
This is just an idea at this stage. Same functionality as Type3 but smaller dimensions for smaller ECUs. Only after NVRAM memory expansion investigation has been finalised

Type 4 (7700) Consult board
These are similar to the multirom and support multiple vehicle types. Waiting for prototype boards to arrive back and will then attempt S14/S15 with various ROM images and also ER34.

Looking to use spare NVRAM area to put patch code for models such as B14 which have no spare ROM space. PLD updates complete, to be tested