bypassing nats..

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

baguete

Re: bypassing nats..

Post by baguete »

skylinegtrhr wrote:what is Yours ECU number baguete?
both car I can't do were 23710-82F09 but Pete put 82F08 image on them as there was problem with running original 23710-82F09 image ...

I also try on both car's one ECU without NIStune board but also without success .
Its 23710-74B01, K11 Facelift 1 ECU. Im using Type4 board (for S14a, etc) with K11 adresses, done by Matt in AUS...

The NATS coding works fine on my ECU. The strange thing is that on my ECU if you change any part of NATS (ECU, chip or ignition ring) you need to syncronize it again, on S14a you recode the NATS on any ECU's you want, when you put and earlier coded ECU it works fine, no need for recode. Maybe because i have NATS 2 and S14a uses NATS 1 (more simple)?
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

on my s15 I swaped the ECU in it for a test.. with an earlier model ECU.. it worked ok.. but when I went back to my ECU.. later model.. as in 2001 to 2002 Nats locked up.. but from 2002 to 2001 it just worked with no recode.. went the JDM imge to get around it
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

thought i'd update this

Can confirm that nats sync function isnt working on version 9.14.2, trying to code a known good key to a good ecu and getting the nats response 0

ecu is 23710 -82f00 for a s14a

luckly i know someone with the proper nissan tool, matt is there anyway i could capture the data i'd need a how to on how to do it tho?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Program called 'HHD Free Serial Monitor' was what I used to check against the other program. It appears to run an active test command and then following this check the response.

I have to check it again and see what the difference is. Need a NATS ECU here with immob unit and key really to test it properly
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Sorry to bump and old thread, just doing a board in a mates S15 (not a nistune, i'm trying to 'convert' him with a simple tune so he can see the difference then go for a nistune) and while removing the ecu panel, a wire was pinched between the body and a tool.

This wire was of course, the ECU backup power, white pin #46 (AUDM S15). A spark was seen and since then, the car would not start. ECU MIL flashing a long code, consult says CODE 143 which is a NATS problem. All fuses were tested/checked. Consult communicates with the ECU just fine so i don't believe there is any other issue. I'm assuming a NATS thing because of the power wire being pinched to the ECU.

Looking at the S15 manual, the procedure for getting out of lock mode was done, but the car still wouldn't start.

Given this car isn't nistune equipped, and i don't think my lisence covers S15 boards, i don't have the option to do a NATS Resync.

Worst thing is he lives over an hour away from here, going to be an expensive tow home/to nissan if i can't sort this out. Any suggestions would be sweet.

EDIT, Update: well day got worse... the starter motor has ceased up, so its not going anywhere.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

ECU backup power should not affect the NATS line which is a bidirectional line between ECU and ignition NATS module

If that line was cut or shorted then comms would be fried completely. NATS sync is no longer in Nistune given the previous report on this thread that it was not working. Then again I had another customer who told me it worked fine with EDM S14A NATS sync.

NATS sync will not remove NATS however, so if the comms line is stuffed the IMMU box / ECU might need to be swapped over to diagnose the issue assuming the line between both boxes is okay
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Thanks for the reply Matt,

So would ordering a Nistune Type4 with the JDM non-NATS base image (which was done this morning ....) solve the problem or will the NATS box still need to be replaced to sort out the damage internally which may block things from working either way ?

EDIT: The ECU still powers up and connects to consult on my test bench, but i only use limited pins to power the ECU to do that so i have no idea if other functions have been damaged. There are absolutely no signs of physical damage internally to the ECU or on the pin trace that was shorted out.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes it will resolve that issue. I posted that board out yesterday so you should receive it tomorrow. It has the 91F08 JDM S15 ROM image which will work without NATS
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Thanks Matt, first class service like this is why i recommend Nistune to people so often. Never underestimate how strong of a selling point good customer service is.

Will report back once my mate delivers the board to me and we get it going.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Update: Towed the car out of the carpark, ran it down the long hill (~50-60m), twice, no-go on the clutch start multiple times.

Nistune installed fine, consult connected in nistune program and loaded up on my test bench first go. Thinking maybe something else is blown. Going to have to recheck fuses (all passed continuity test, but not visual inspection at this point) and maybe just swap the NATS module out, maybe it got fried & is somehow still inhibiting/intercepting something else?

If i can get my hands on another ECU i might even move the Nistune over to another ECU just to rule out the ECU having a problem (even though consult works).

Next step is a two truck and clutch replacement. Will have a new starter at the same time so proper basic diagnosis (spark, fuel etc) can be conducted.

Cheers.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

*sigh*

Update. Fuses were checked initially by a simple continuity test, but without removal of the fuse. Knowing that i should have removed and visually inspected, but didn't, makes me even more embarrassed. Turns out Fuse #34 in the engine bay was blown which was for IGN/NATS explaining why the NATS code came up and why the car had no spark.

The car (after clutch replaced and new starter motor) would turn over, fuel OK, no spark at all. Decided ECU must have taken a hit when it sparked so i replaced the ECU and removed and reinstalled the Nistune into the newly acquired ECU (not an easy process i'm sure some are aware!). Same thing, fuel, no spark. Fuse pulling exercise ensued, found the blown fuse, replaced, started first kick. Hooray (and probably would have started on the other ECU too i imagine...)

Turns out the guy that changed the clutch screwed up and it doesn't disengage! gears cannot be selected and the car wants to creep forwards when trying to engage 3rd gear. At least its running now !

Thanks to Matt for the fast service. I'll be a hell of a lot more careful if i ever have to do another Silvia ECU ! I think i'll stick to Pulsars.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What a nightmare! So there were two blown fuses in the end :(

At least you could check the ECU on the bench to verify that. Next time ask for another adaptor ribbon since moving those between ECUs is not recommended! I use a hot air gun to remove old ones since that is the quickest way (takes seconds)
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

I didn't write the post out very clearly, just one the one fuse #34 was blown causing the whole non-starting condition but this was only discovered after the Nistune was moved from one ECU to the other (ruling out the ECU being the issue).

I definitely wasn't looking forward to desoldering the ribbon cable, but i was confident with being able to do it. A second adapter would have made it much easier but certainly didn't expect to need it.

It was a case of fix or die for my mate, his Girlfriend wasn't overly impressed with the whole situation. I had only minimal tools with me, but lucky enough i had what i needed to do it.
ricardomendes

Post by ricardomendes »

Made a swap of sr20det from s14a to another car dont have any of the nats box etc, the car start and die after 5 min. To solve this is put nistune with jdm image? Any other option?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes untick both the NATS flag boxes inside Nistune and burn button. Then switch off/restart vehicle and will be fine