Trouble getting S14 to run

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Ls240sx

Trouble getting S14 to run

Post by Ls240sx »

Hello all! I'm new to the forum here and joined in hope of receiving some help. I've done a ton of reading all over the Internet regarding my issue and nothing has worked!!!
Here's some background. I've got a 95 s14, s14 ka24de. Motor has eagle rods, supertech pistons, ACL bearings, head is built with supertech valves, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, and factory cams. Top Mount precision turbo (intake .70 exhaust .68 on the housings) ID1000cc injectors, vq35 card style MAF, and an HKS blow off valve set up for blow through. And it's got a nistune type 4 board in the ECU.
I initially had an MSD setup on it with an external coIL conversion from xcessive. Took the car to get tuned and was having a big issue with the car breaking up around 3000 rpms. Other than that it ran good and i could drive it. So I got it home and took the MSD setup off and put a factory ignition setup back on it. Since then the car hasn't ran. With the same exact tune as before just a different distributor really the car won't run. I've verified getting spark and everything else it just won't run. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but maybe someone here will have some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Trouble getting S14 to run

Post by Matt »

This is a tricky one... were the dwell tables changed at all in the tune to accommodate the MSD? Were the spark plugs gapped correctly?

Perhaps when putting the original dizzy setup back on, it is not compatible with altered dwell tables?

What if you put the MSD back on, will it work again? Can you read the tune off your ECU and compare against a factory tune file (70F0F is the feature pack version file for your vehicle)
Ls240sx

Post by Ls240sx »

Thanks for the response! I honestly don't know what all was adjusted when the guy tuned it. I put the MSD setup back on it and it still won't run. I can advance the dizzy all the way and it will run for a split second then die. At this point I feel like it's in the timing, I just don't know where. The plugs are gapped down to .32.
Ls240sx

Post by Ls240sx »

Was messing with it today and noticed that when the key is on and I'm connected to the ECU with nistune the timing gauge on the computer is showing 3 degrees of timing. Is this normal?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It wouldnt mean anything until engine is actually running. Might be default or last used timing value otherwise
Ls240sx

Post by Ls240sx »

Nothing?! Any help would be great
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

This is more of a mechanical issue than a specific tuning issue so is not something we can diagnose over the forums. You had the car working (with cutting out) until you removed the MSD ignition system and since then it is not working. It could be a wiring issue, vehicle flooded or other cause

You also do not have access to the tune it seems to know if the dwell tables were changed or how they are changed. I cannot really provide any additional info to get it going. It would be best to take it back to the mechanic/tuner and now work out why it isnt starting