VCC LED Stays ON after FW update with Base Image programmer

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

adamky

VCC LED Stays ON after FW update with Base Image programmer

Post by adamky »

I'm updating a Type 3 board for a KA24DE with the Feature Pack firmware. I've been running Nistune on this ECU for over 8 years. Never had a problem with it. I am following the documentation step by step, desoldering the J1 jumper and bridging the PGM jumper, etc. The programmer appears to be writing the new firmware correctly and says "SUCCESS. Unsolder PGM jumper, solder ECU jumpers". My issue is that the documentation says "Make sure VCC LED is off before removing board". My VCC LED stays on and won't go off. Is this an issue?

I'm finishing a full engine build and trying to get my motor running and I'm having some issues that I have not completely figured out yet. I think that my issue right now is that my base timing is off. But I have set base timing many times over the years and I have never had this many issues getting it set.

After removing the PGM jumper and setting the J1 S13 jumper again, I put the ECU back into the car. However, when I connect to the ECU via Nistune, it shows my ECU as 53F01 and NOT 53F0F as it should.

So, I just want to ensure that the VCC LED staying on isn't indicative of some type of problem with the Nistune board before I go any further.

Here's a video of me uploading the Feature Pack firmware to the board: https://youtu.be/QjiUYOamx4k

And here's a pic of the board and programmer after writing the firmware. Notice that the VCC LED is still on.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: VCC LED Stays ON after FW update with Base Image programmer

Post by Matt »

Its a bit of a firmware/hardware glitch. Its not completely on (bright) but somewhat lit since there is residual voltage. You are safe however to remove the board with no corruption. The light will go out when the board is removed
adamky

Post by adamky »

Ok, thanks. What about the fact that the ECU shows up in Nistune as a 53F01 board, and not 53F0F?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Did you move the ECU jumper when installing the board?

Does it show 23710-53F01 (FACTORY)?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I ran through the video and correct file is loaded, 53F0F and it should show this part number along with REV: 13 or similar next to it. Can you screenshot or debug log from Nistune to show it connected?
adamky

Post by adamky »

I reloaded the firmware and it is now showing 53F0F. Thanks for your help!

Now if I could just figure out how to import my old tunes correctly. I've started with the S13 KA24DE Feature Pack base tune and did the "import maps" operation, but I'm having no luck even getting the engine started. Feels like it's waaay too rich. I was able to get it running and driving by taking a stock tune and making adjustments, but I'm having trouble with things like throttle tip in. If I could get my old tune imported, I think it would be closer to what I need.

I'll do some searching on the forums and FP documentation and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Email me both tunes and I'll look them over. Import should just work normally...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Other option is to start with 53F0F base maps from the ROM pack, do injector and MAF resize, then File > Import selected maps and just tick the minimum you need (fuel, timing, latency, crank enrich) into that tune
adamky

Post by adamky »

That would be great if you could take a look at it. I know you're a very busy guy. Do I send it to matt[@]nistune.com or info[@]nistune.com?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Second one.. info@