TPS issues

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

unreal-

Re: TPS issues

Post by unreal- »

Unsia

Looks like I may have to cut into the harness to get the obd1 tps in there. It did the "gee unreal I forgot where the tps idle is" thing again and I had to turn off the car, and turn it back on again. Lasted exactly 5 days :(

I just have to souce a female o2 connector with wires and I can splice it in and possibly keep the obd2 plug.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

unreal- wrote:Unsia

Looks like I may have to cut into the harness to get the obd1 tps in there. It did the "gee unreal I forgot where the tps idle is" thing again and I had to turn off the car, and turn it back on again. Lasted exactly 5 days :(

I just have to souce a female o2 connector with wires and I can splice it in and possibly keep the obd2 plug.
That's what mine would do and if I knew that my car was warm and had a high idle at a stop light I would just turn off the engine and restart and then if I had normal idle I knew I was good to go (that would be when I was driving around not logging) but its pretty obvious to know when the TPS is not entered at idle. Mine would do it for no rhym or reason.
unreal-

Post by unreal- »

Yup thats exactly what I went through! I knew mine wasnt entered when my afrs were leaner than normal and I didnt get the decel fuel cut when slowing down in gear. It gets really annoying having to cycle the key like that every other time you get in the car.

By any chance, do you know where I could souce the male end of the tps (the connector thats molded to the tps) so that I dont have to cut the engine harness? I don't mind cutting the tps harness to solder a new plug in.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

unreal- wrote:Yup thats exactly what I went through! I knew mine wasnt entered when my afrs were leaner than normal and I didnt get the decel fuel cut when slowing down in gear. It gets really annoying having to cycle the key like that every other time you get in the car.

By any chance, do you know where I could souce the male end of the tps (the connector thats molded to the tps) so that I dont have to cut the engine harness? I don't mind cutting the tps harness to solder a new plug in.

From the looks of it, it looks very much like the male end side that would connect to the oxygen sensor on many Nissan/Infiniti's I would try sourcing that from the JY I don't have a spare style TPS sensor like lying around to test the fitment but many Nissan use that pigtail style TPS I bet you could find one easily.
unreal-

Post by unreal- »

UNISA JECS wrote:
unreal- wrote:Yup thats exactly what I went through! I knew mine wasnt entered when my afrs were leaner than normal and I didnt get the decel fuel cut when slowing down in gear. It gets really annoying having to cycle the key like that every other time you get in the car.

From the looks of it, it looks very much like the male end side that would connect to the oxygen sensor on many Nissan/Infiniti's I would try sourcing that from the JY I don't have a spare style TPS sensor like lying around to test the fitment but many Nissan use that pigtail style TPS I bet you could find one easily.
Gotcha.

I did a little more research and found out that the obd1 vs obd2 tps are not only different in physical terms but also how they connect to the throttle body. The obd2 tps uses a little wheel that you can turn with your finger. Similar to the images you posted. The obd1 tps uses what seems to be a shaft that slides into the tps. Completely different style. From the looks of it, i may only need to swap the throttle body/tps assembly and rewire the harness end of the plug with a female o2 sensor plug.

Man this is more work than I thought it would be. :(
unreal-

Post by unreal- »

Found a source for the o2 connector:

www.wiringspecialties.com/connectorea.html

Full (female) pigtail with brand new connector :)

All thats left is to source the obd1 throttle body and a obd1 tps! From what im told the s13 tb should bolt right on my s14 manifold.

Also sourcing a single wire o2 to put in place of my 3 wire. Might explain why ive been going thru o2 sensors left and right and also why my o2s have not been oscillating correctly. The ecu is expecting a 1 wire, but getting 3 wire.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

unreal- wrote:Found a source for the o2 connector:

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/connectorea.html

Full (female) pigtail with brand new connector :)

All thats left is to source the obd1 throttle body and a obd1 tps! From what im told the s13 tb should bolt right on my s14 manifold.

Also sourcing a single wire o2 to put in place of my 3 wire. Might explain why ive been going thru o2 sensors left and right and also why my o2s have not been oscillating correctly. The ecu is expecting a 1 wire, but getting 3 wire.
Im pretty sure the TB is also a straight swap I used to have a S13 KA24DET......I recommend that you actually keep your 3 wire sensor but just make sure its wired up correctly, I ran a 3 wire on my S13 KA24DET setup because I wasn't satisfied with the laziness of the stock 1 wire o2 sensor, you'll get much better oscillation with the 3 wire trust me. Just make sure the signal wire if going to the correct pin on your harness and then add 12v source and ground. Think of it as an update.