ECU in limp mode with Nistune daughterboard fitted

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Stick

ECU in limp mode with Nistune daughterboard fitted

Post by Stick »

Hi all,

Finally after about 5 year after buying my Nistune daughterboard and associate items, i went to have it tuned. When i bought it, Paul had preloaded a base image as he does, to run Z32 AFM, S15 480cc injectors and a T28 turbo. Since then the T28 bit the pork sword and i uprgaded to a GT28RS. After we fitted up the new gear (afm, injectors, ecu with nistune on board), we started the car to see if it ran, which it did, albeit very roughly. Idle was all over the shop and she was pumping the black smoke out the back like a diesel. So, Tuner went to get some data off the ECU to see what was going on, and could not get a connection, the ECU was in limp mode. I made the assumption that either the ECU had crapped itself after sitting around for so long, or the AFM was a dud.

First step was to unplug the z32 AFM to see if that was the issue, no change. Must be the ecu then!, so i went and got the stock ecu i had been using and had a 2x20 socket fitted to accomodate the nistune daughterboard. Got it back this morning, plugged it in, and bang, same issue! whether it was jumped across CJ2 or CJ1, same problem.

I pulled the nistune board off the socket, no more limp mode! Anyone got any ideas as to why this could be happening? 2 ecus with the same issue! :(

Car is a 180sx SR20DET redtop
Matt
Site Admin

Re: ECU in limp mode with Nistune daughterboard fitted

Post by Matt »

Not sure. It should not be using the Nistune board when fitted with CJ set to factory mode

Check there are no shorts between neighbouring pins on the header. If you cant see anything then you can send the board here and I can check it out for you. Warranty on boards is 12 months so you are kind a bit out of that but I can see what I can find. Shoot me an email info[at]nistune.com