type 3 board issues

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

yfz450chuck

type 3 board issues

Post by yfz450chuck »

i have been having some issues trying to get my nistune type 3 board working, i installed the board in my ecu and made sure all solders were good and the jumper was in correct position and it throws the CEL and goes into safe mode, the company i ordered it through (Z-sport) sent me a new one to try, i installed it in another dual cam ecu and it runs extremely rich, the car is turbo'd with larger injectors but i have a afc neo installed and is running perfectly fine with the stock ecu with the jumper in the original position, but as soon as i plug in the ecu with nistune installed it runs extremely rich, and i even tried putting the original nistune board in that ecu and i still get the CEL but not running rich. so if i am correct this should mean the problem lies in the board somewhere since the two boards (same base map) are producing two different results. i am not blaming anyone but my luck, it is horrible, this is the fourth nistune board i have owned, three of witch i have had issues with, one was a bad board another was an issue with the ecu, and idk whats going on with these two. i dont know what to try
BlueRB240

Re: type 3 board issues

Post by BlueRB240 »

when it runs rich what are the a/f like at idle? did u try playing with the K value at all?
yfz450chuck

Post by yfz450chuck »

The a/f ratios are too rich to read, and I haven't done anything yet, it runs perfectly with the stock ecu and stock map, and the nistune board should have the same map on it
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

Load a stock bin on the ecu just in case.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

(a) i installed the board in my ecu and made sure all solders were good and the jumper was in correct position and it throws the CEL and goes into safe mode
What is the part # of your ECU and the part # on the board? Can you post pics of the installation?
(b) (Z-sport) sent me a new one to try, i installed it in another dual cam ecu and it runs extremely rich, the car is turbo'd with larger injectors but i have a afc neo installed and is running perfectly fine with the stock ecu with the jumper in the original position
So you are not getting a CEL on this one? Are you able to connect okay with Nistune via consult?

What if you plug the 'working' board from this back into the first ECU? Does it raise CEL here? Just trying to work out if the first ECU install had issues or it was the board at fault/programmed wrong?

The base map should be identical to the factory map. So the part number reported in Nistune (23710-blah) should match the number of your ECU if you didnt have the board installed and running factory mode. That way we can determine programming issue

You are right - it should run the same both ways. The only difference between having the board in is that you can now tune the thing. Should run the same otherwise... something wrong there
yfz450chuck

Post by yfz450chuck »

That's correct, with the new nistune board I am not getting a cell

I don't know if I can connect yet, my tuner has the license and cable, I don't want to take time off work and pay for a dyno slot and find out its not able to be tuned or possibly not even able to be connected too, I did that with my SR car once already

And I would like to try to put the new board in the first ecu but after trying to unsolder the header connector I ended up breaking it (the header connector not the ecu)

That's why I had z-sport get me a new board and connector for the second try
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I would not ever try to unsolder those headers where I didnt need to (those connectors can be sourced from electronics shops or even myself) ... and they only cost couple of dollars

So first ECU sounds like its toast, but thats good second ECU works

You could see if the first board runs in that second ECU, just swapping it over.

So try plugging it in and starting the car with it. If the CEL when running goes on with that board then you know know it was first board problem, otherwise you have first ECU had installation problem.

If the first board does work, then see if it runs the same as the second board in that ECU

Good thing is you wont need license or cable to try this out, and will save you time with the dyno place
yfz450chuck

Post by yfz450chuck »

well its good to know those headers can be found, i looked around but couldnt find one localy, anyways the first ecu, the original is fine i belive, i am. the first board witch i tried in both ecus produced the same results, a cel. so now i am running the first ecu with the jumper in stock position in the car now. now in the second ecu i have tried both nistune boards, the first one seems to run fine for about 20 seconds with a cel and then dies, with the second nistune board it does not throw a cel or die but it is running extremely rich, like off the chart rich.

so what i would like to try is the second nistune board in the original ecu, but i no longer have a header in that ecu, and i dont know if i have damaged it by soldering and unsoldering the header in and out.

if this is hard to understand please give me a call
chuck
360-281-5230
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

makes sense.

you need another connector first. I can post one through ... or you can get them from dikikey etc

we get the 40 x 2 pin and cut them in half to make 20 x 2 pin (digikey part S9224-ND $17USD)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... nt_id=5410

cheaper here $1.05
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=P5410