A32s keep getting P0340..

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

ChrisMan287

A32s keep getting P0340..

Post by ChrisMan287 »

Both cars run fine on stock ECUs. No issues or codes.. One is a '96 5MT 3.5 swapped and the other is a '97 5MT 3.0 stock.

Both cars have spare ECUs that have been fitted with Nistune. Both spare ECUs are '95 5MTs (A18-B41-EM0 and A18-B41-EL0).

Once Nistune'd ECUs are plugged in, both cars run like crap and throw P0340 codes almost immediately. If we swap the stock ECUs back into either cars they run absolutely fine without issue.

This is not my first experience with Nistune. On my previous '96 4AT with Nistune'd '95 4AT ECU the car ran absolutely fine. This was before the feature pack was available for us. I believe I set up both ECUs properly unless I'm doing something wrong :(

Can this be a software issue?? I'm stumped.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: A32s keep getting P0340..

Post by Matt »

Did you try the spare ECUs in these cars, and were there fault codes before installing the Nisutne board? Likely that ECU would have had that DTC code in there or will report it - before installing the Nistune board

I'm not familiar with this code but checking:
P0340 NISSAN - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1
Possible causes Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection Faulty starter motor Starting system circuit Dead (Weak) battery

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0340_nissan.html

Try at this point removing the board, jumper to factory position, clear the fault code and then start the car again and see if it comes up

There is absolutely nothing in the Nistune firmware which would cause this fault code that I can think of, but potentially different ECU or problem with the ECU used may be a cause of the issue. Let us know how it goes with 95 ECU in factory model. Also part number in the Nistune board used
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

The spare ECUs are the ones that have been fitted with Nistune. I listed those part numbers in the original post.
We do not have additional ECUs aside from the stock ones that are on the cars. Cars run fine on the stock ECUs and only have EVAP DTCs..

There were no DTCs on the Nistune ECUs. They both throw P0340 almost immediately and run like absolute shit.

Am I doing something wrong with uploading to the ECU? I'm attaching pictures of the steps that I've taken.
After steps 1-3 I upload then burn to ECU.
And I've tried both maps highlighted in picture 4 attached with no difference.

Is it possible that there are errors with the ROM Pack maps? Andy at AutoVaughn Performance did the installs BTW.
Attachments
1.JPG
(89.79 KiB) Downloaded 3564 times
2.JPG
(62.75 KiB) Downloaded 3564 times
3.JPG
(110.64 KiB) Downloaded 3564 times
Last edited by ChrisMan287 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

Last picture..
Attachments
4.JPG
(85.86 KiB) Downloaded 3564 times
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

Pictures of the board...
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 3562 times
FullSizeRender2.jpg
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 3562 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The spare ECUs are the ones that have been fitted with Nistune.
Was aware of this. I checking if you tested these spare in the vehicles before sending them to AVP to have the boards fitted?

Potentially there could be a fault code stored in the ECU prior (or incompatibility issue)
I listed those part numbers in the original post.
Saw those too. I was wanting to know the part numbers displayed inside Nistune to check for compatibility

A32 VQ30DE Maxima 95 USDM 40U01 N M F OBD2 A18-B41 EM0 >>> 40Uxx ECU
A32 VQ30DE Maxima 95 USDM ????? N M F OBD2 A18-B41 EL0 >>> 40Uxx ECU

It appears from the photo of your boards that 40U0F is the matching FP board part number for these, so that looks good
There were no DTCs on the Nistune ECUs. They both throw P0340 almost immediately and run like absolute shit.
When were there no DTCs on the ECUs? Prior to fitting the board or prior to starting the vehicle?

At what point did the P0340 code appear? After starting? Confused here

There should not be issues with the FP ROM pack maps, but you need to make sure you use the 40U0F one (which appears you have), otherwise the TIM will be incorrect and that will cause issues. I've had no reports of issues yet with these ones so far with other Maxima owners

Also try removing the Nistune board from the ECU, and move the ECU jumper (see Type 4 manual for A32 1995 ECU) to factory mode. Insulate the Adaptor B connector. Then see how the vehicle runs and try and clear the code. Let me know how that goes
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

We did not test the spares in the vehicles before sending to AVP.
Seems unlikely that both ECUs would be faulty with the same exact issue.

Prior to starting the vehicle there were no codes. I scanned with NDS1 as always when installing a new ECU to clear codes if any..
P0340 code appeared almost immediately after starting the car which confused me as well. First we tried the EM0 ECU. I was going to diagnose that code further but decided to try the EL0 ECU expecting different results and ended with the same. I swapped back in the stock ECU and it continues to run fine on it.

I honestly don't feel comfortable removing the jumpers myself which is why I haven't given that a go. May send both to AVP for diagnosing.

Is it possible that the boards are corrupt??
EDIT: Am I doing something wrong when uploading maps?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I dont know the cause of the issue that you are getting. It can be diagnosed by removing the board for starters. If you are not comfortable doing the jumper then maybe get a electronics repair place to move it for you. The jumper does not need to be used, it can be replaced with a solder blob instead

So unsolder existing jumper (soldering iron, solder and tweezers to remove) and then put blob on original location and remove Nistune board (insulate the Adaptor B connector also). Then connect, clear code and see if still problem

If not a problem then I would suggest AVP reflash board to exact same ECU part # shown in factory mode on that ECU (without feature pack firmware)
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

It's been some time since I've had a chance to mess with the cars..

Update:
My Nistune ECU wasn't connecting to consult so I sent it back to Andy @ AVP. Waiting on him to check it out.
My brother's Nistune ECU can still connect. I plan to log it and send that information to you, Matt. I really think this is a Nistune bug.

My brother's '96 5MT 3.5 swap car has been running great on his stock ECU (A18-C84-EX8) and he daily drives the car. Just passed inspection, actually.
My car has been running a '95 5MT ECU (A18-E10-ER0) for about a week now (in my '97 5MT). I'll be getting my car inspected once all systems are set.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay try the ECU without the board fitted and let me know. That will confirm things

Nistune doesnt go near any of the OBD-II code so can only think using one of the OBD-II memory addresses would cause an issue (in FP code)
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

Alright, sent my ECU back to AVP. He reverted it back to stock image (not feature pack) and it runs absolutely fine as in no P0340 or hiccups. Have yet to do anything with my brother's ECU..

This confirms that there is an issue on your end, Matt.
What would you like me to do at this point? We definitely need this solved.

Everyone from our group buy got the feature pack update.. So there's an issue there.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

So everyone else in this through buy through AVP (I was never directly invovled with this) has the same codes?

That is interesting since this is the first time I've heard of it since doing the FP firmware for the A32 (which I never really wanted to do in the first place since these ECUS are such a pain to work with to begin with)

I'll see what I can do to work it out, but it will be difficult since the code will only happen on an actual Maxima (Which I do not have here)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay so at this time we have:
40U0F (1995 MT)
40U1F (1995 AT)
54U0F (1996 MT)

Your ECUs:
A32 VQ30DE Maxima 95 USDM 40U01 N M F OBD2 A18-B41 EM0 >>> 40Uxx ECU
A32 VQ30DE Maxima 95 USDM ????? N M F OBD2 A18-B41 EL0 >>> 40Uxx ECU

From the image on the board, one of these was programmed with 40U0F and assume the other one was also? Has anyone else had the same problem, what about the 1996 ECU?

What is the ROM image now that AVP has loaded into your ECU?

Problem with FP install is: Both cars run like crap and throw P0340. Unsure if this is due to TIM (total injection multiplier) or launch control. Do you have the VCT option loaded in also or not?

Since the group purchase was done directly with AVP I have no information who has what ECU and what is loaded on each one so know what is out there currently
ChrisMan287

Post by ChrisMan287 »

As of right now I have a head count of 6/10 from the group buy with '95 MT feature pack ECUs. Safe to assume they will all have the same issues.

2x A18-B41-EL0
4x A18-B41-EM0

Waiting to hear back from the others on their ECUs #s..

I strongly believe this is a '95 only issue. Dan Syster was the first with the feature pack on his '96 ECU that he sent to you and he does not have any issues.

I can log my EL0 ECU that does not have the feature pack then can log my brother's EM0 ECU that does have the feature pack. Will that help?
EDIT: I have emailed you logs of both ECUs.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks. Got them. Will have a look but the LOG files will not give me much in the way the car runs

Need consult CSV files and then would compare timing and injection time between the FP and non-FP files when running the same tune

Sounds like 1995 only issue then. Will compare the original and FP files to see if I notice anything obvious that may cause issues