256 poncams power increase?

Results of any interesting tests done with or related to Nistune.

Moderator: Matt

Fortmac180

256 poncams power increase?

Post by Fortmac180 »

just wondering what kind of power increase is expected from these vs factory?
sr20det red
thanx a bunch, thinking of purchasing
Edit, Just searched forum and seems like 20rkw thanx
PL

Re: 256 poncams power increase?

Post by PL »

Yep you're right. 20rwkw every time. I've done heaps of them now and they never fail to deliver. Love 'em!

Currently available from FRsport for $US343 per set + shipping. Bargain!!!

PL
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

PL wrote:Yep you're right. 20rwkw every time. I've done heaps of them now and they never fail to deliver. Love 'em!

Currently available from FRsport for $US343 per set + shipping. Bargain!!!

PL
Hi Pete , do You always change valve springs for new or Tomei upgrade set when installing Poncams?
Fortmac180

Post by Fortmac180 »

I have been doing research and as far as i know, u can use the stock springs with poncams 11.5 lift. Any more lift and should use aftermarket springs.
I did order the ones from FRsport, cheapest ones i seen around. cams and stoppers $450 shiped to canada, i also got some new rockers coming, head studs and gasket just showed up. yay , now i can up the boost lol

Ill do a little review on the cams in a few weeks after i get them in
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Well we have Poncams on our demo S14 and in precaution we did install Tomei valve springs,but we would like to hear other people experience with standard springs.
PL

Post by PL »

Nope. Chuck 'em in and go for it!

In reality it usually depends on budget. The guys short on cash throw them in without anything else. The guys who are a bit more financial/thorough generally put new springs and rocker stoppers in, although I haven't noticed a difference power-wise.

The other good thing with Poncams is that they tend to "dial in" perfectly every time - no need for adjustable gears.

PL
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Whats about the rev-limit? How high can you set it with standart cams and with poncams?
PL

Post by PL »

My 2c worth:

Most guys leave it std as SR's tend to give their best in the midrange - revving the crap out of them will only lessen engine life. It's all over by 6500 with the non-VCT SR's anyway. They'll always start to taper off after that. Often quite steeply - depending on turbo size etc.

The VCT engines are different and will hold on to 7300/7500 but then start to taper off, so it's debatable as to whether it's worth raising rev limit on those either. Bottom line is always to not increase rev limit unless you have a good reason.

Max I've gone to is 8000 - that was on an S13 DE with 272 cams and rocker stoppers.

First thing to go seems to be the rockers (they jump out), so better springs and rocker stoppers are recommended over 7500.

PL
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

PL wrote:My 2c worth:

Most guys leave it std as SR's tend to give their best in the midrange - revving the crap out of them will only lessen engine life. It's all over by 6500 with the non-VCT SR's anyway. They'll always start to taper off after that. Often quite steeply - depending on turbo size etc.

The VCT engines are different and will hold on to 7300/7500 but then start to taper off, so it's debatable as to whether it's worth raising rev limit on those either. Bottom line is always to not increase rev limit unless you have a good reason.

Max I've gone to is 8000 - that was on an S13 DE with 272 cams and rocker stoppers.

First thing to go seems to be the rockers (they jump out), so better springs and rocker stoppers are recommended over 7500.

PL
Aint that tha truth :x , especially doing standing revs....