Black PS13 with S15 SR20DET

Results of any interesting tests done with or related to Nistune.

Moderator: Matt

HermaN

Black PS13 with S15 SR20DET

Post by HermaN »

Owner of this stunning car brought it to me a while back and I have spent a lot of time fine tuning the car to get it running as it is. Originally the car ran like a bag of bolts. Shaking/stuttering on low load areas, barely idling and a dyno graph of just 301.2 BHP on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. However with the spec list we expected nearer 350 BHP. Now the car idles and drives properly as it should, not only that it's a lot quicker and smoother. Even the owners GF commented on how much better the car ran, and how she no longer feels sick being in it now that it no longer shakes and jerks about when cruising.

Spec list....

S15 Engine
HKS GT-SS Turbo
One Off Exhaust (Dual Pipe with bungs)
Trust Racing BOV
NIStune mapped
HPI Air Cleaner
Z32 AFM
Driftworks Rocker Arm Stoppers
Metal Suction Pipe
Triple Layer Koyo Radiator
Oil Catch Can
Engine Torque Damper
Oil Cooler
Oil Filter Relocation Kit
GReddy Intercooler
Aftermarket Turbo Outlet
Aftermarket Downpipe
Stainmesh Turbo Line
Master Cylinder Stopper
Yellow Injectors Nismo 555cc
HKS 256 Cams
Aftermarket Manifold

The car was not dyno tuned, but rather tuned on private land which I generally prefer, because no matter how good a dyno cell you have, it's not going to match real world conditions. On private land it's also just as safe as a dyno.

So unfortunately no dyno print outs yet. Owner will get getting the car dyno'd on the local Dastek dyno soon. Unfortunately no Dyno Dynamics ones around here.

Owner is much happier and says it definately feels quicker. Also commented on how progressive the power is throughout the rev range, where as previously it just came in 1 big hit past 4000 RPM. Overall a happy customer and I'm pleased with the result.

The virtual dyno results should give a good indication as to the actual power. On previous cars the virtual dyno reading has never been more than +/- 10 BHP out compared the the local Dastek dyno. :D ;)

Virtual dyno figures were 362 BHP @ 6707 RPM & 328 lb/ft @ 4586 RPM which seems more within spec than the original 301.2 BHP the owner was given by the previous tuner.

EDIT: Virtual Dyno plot, holds 11.5 AFR most of the way, but does dip to 11.2 at one point. I normally run cars a tad leaner (11.8 - 12.0 AFR), but for this car which tends to suffer quite a bit of abuse I thought it would be best to keep it safe. ;)

Last edited by HermaN on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
TM_S13

Re: Black PS13 with S15 SR20DET

Post by TM_S13 »

seems nice :)
was the VTC working on the previous tune?

when you have the chance try and post both dyno printouts hehe
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Yup, the VCT/VVT was working and has not been touched at all. All we did was remap the car and it went from 301.2 BHP up to 362 BHP! Admittiedly the 362 BHP is a virtual dyno plot, but as said, on previous SR20's I've done they are usually only +/- 10 BHP.

Will post the virtual dyno plots when I get onto my other laptop and will post up the actual dyno plots when the owner has put it on the rollers.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

you still using dataloglab herman?
i've tried that evo one over on geekmapped.com but couldnt get it to work with our logs at all which is a shame as dataloglab doesn't show the afr reading on the vd graph which could come in handy

nice results tho
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

No mate, using Virtual Dyno which was written by a guy over on EvolutionM. If you simply open your CSV log file and remove the "info" on the first line and then replace the "Time" label with "LogEntrySeconds" and replace "AFR" with "WidebandAF", then it works. ;)

Also, use the "3000GT VR4 (5 Speed)" car from the drop down list, then modify the weight, ambient temp, tyre size, etc to suit and you'll end up with some pretty accurate results. :D Also, from the options menu use the "Mustang Dyno".

I do use DataLogLab for other things, but not for the virtual dyno. It always seems to give me silly readings.

Virtual dyno plot now added to first post.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

HermaN wrote:No mate, using Virtual Dyno which was written by a guy over on EvolutionM. If you simply open your CSV log file and remove the "info" on the first line and then replace the "Time" label with "LogEntrySeconds" and replace "AFR" with "WidebandAF", then it works. ;)

Also, use the "3000GT VR4 (5 Speed)" car from the drop down list, then modify the weight, ambient temp, tyre size, etc to suit and you'll end up with some pretty accurate results. :D Also, from the options menu use the "Mustang Dyno".

I do use DataLogLab for other things, but not for the virtual dyno. It always seems to give me silly readings.

Virtual dyno plot now added to first post.
ahh so thats how to get it working cheers fella :mrgreen:
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

No probs mate, any troubles with it just ask. Happy to help. :)
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

nope still cant get it to work :cry:

fancy making a little how to guide on getting it running :wink:
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Aye, I'll do a little step by step guide later tonight for you mate. :) Feeling a little rough today, so I'll just be staying in tonight and having a quiet one anyway.

Actually, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send you a log that already works with Virtual Dyno so you can try it out and look at the differences. It really is as simple as removing the info from the first line in the log and renaming 2 columns and it should work a treat. :)
PL

Post by PL »

Good work Herman. It's great to receive good feedback from the customer's girlfriend! It usually means you've done wonders for driveability - cos that's the bit they care about!

Did you find that the S15 engine pulled harder up top than S13? They always seem to keep delivering until after 7000, while S13's fall off at 6500.

PL
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Cheers mate! Was very happy when his GF commented on how much better the map was. Like you say, she was more concerned about general drivability. Also, since then the owner has told me his GF now actually enjoys driving his PS and almost looks for an excuse to do so, lol! This PS13 has had the S15 engine in place since it came from Japan over a year ago, so I can't give a direct comparison to the original engine and this S15 engine, however compared to another white PS13 I have mapped with the original SR20DET Red Top this car is in a TOTALLY different league. Pulls so much harder and just keeps on pulling all the way.

Then again the 2 cars ar not really directly comparable. The white PS13 still has stock cams in it, but it does have a T28 turbo which is good, but the HKS GT-SS on this car just spools up so much quicker. This car is running 1.2 bar of boost, where as the white PS is running 1.0 bar. However, even on the low boost setting of 1.0 bar this car would whipe the floor with the white PS. Shows how much of a difference the VCT/VVT actually makes.

TBH, this car is hands down my favourite car I have done to date, which is the main reason I posted up. A proper road legal drift car, and it's properly driven as well, not just polished. :)

It is unfortunately also up for sale. :( If I had the cash it would be mine! lol
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

too bad it's for sale, specially now both the owner and the gf are loving it...
tell them not to sell it hehehe
PL

Post by PL »

I find it really annoying when you put a lot of effort into something like that, get a good result and then the owner sells it!

I did a big job on a Ford KE AWD Laser once. Not sure what other parts of the world got them. Quite a good machine in their time. Ford took a 1986 Mazda 323 and changed panels etc. and slapped their badge on it. They ran a Mazda B6 twincam + turbo + AWD. Nice machine but underpowered.

He brought it to me (back when I had a thing called time...) with a Mazda Familia AWD frontcut. The familia runs the BP 1800 turbo engine. Much better but still underpowered. So I removed the old 1600, fitted the 1800 and while I was at it I detailed the engine bay, built a custom steampipe manifold to fit T28 turbo, wired up EMS management with multicoil IGN, plumbed up FMIC, etc. etc. Tuned it on the dyno, tweaked it on the road until it was as good as one of those EMS systems gets. Couple months later he sold it! Aaaarggh!

PL
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

TBH the owner has said on numerous occasions he does not want to sell it, but needs the cash, so it has to go for now. He said he might track it down and buy it back in the future once he has more spare funds lying around. So its not like he is fed up or bored with it any more, just has other more important things that he needs to spend his money on.