RB20det Dyno Results

Results of any interesting tests done with or related to Nistune.

Moderator: Matt

vip performance

RB20det Dyno Results

Post by vip performance »

Just wanted to do a little show and tell….

We are a Tuning shop in Portland OR, we just finished up with a resent customer build. The car is a 1989 Nissan 240sx, we swap’d the RB20det into the car early 2008. The customer wanted the swap for the added power and liked the exhaust sound of the RB engines. Power and overall look of the engine bay was very important because the customer attends a lot of car shows!! Here’s the setup

-RB20det, stock bottom, no port work, no aftermarket valves or springs
- cometic head gasket
-ARP head studs
-HKS 264 cams
-CX racing turbo manifold
-GT3076r turbo
-Tial 38m waste gate
-HKS boost controller
-Q45 throttle body
-KU engineering intake manifold
-JGY top feed fuel rail
-MSD 72lb injectors
-Nistune type two bored

This Dyno number was obtained on 21 PSI with pump gas on are Dynocom 1800x smoothing is set at 1. I think the RB20det motor would benefit from some serious port work, just by looking at the exhaust & intake ports you can tell that’s probably the missing link to making more power efficiently.

Image :D :D

Before-

after-
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

Nice results and Nice motor too mate

Great Job
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

did you experiment much with the cam timing on the dyno ?
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

nice results ;)

I like both pictures, but the first is my favourite because it almost looks like a CA engine hehehehe

seems to be pretty good that s13 ;)
Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

some serious lag there, what size of the housing are you using?

Can you please tell me what are advantages, if any, of the huge Q45 throttle body on a 2L engine?

Looks good and RB20 screaming at high revs sounds NICE! :D
Cheers,
Petros Katunian
vip performance

Post by vip performance »

To answer a few of your guys questions…

We did not play with the cam timing at all, the customer wanted to keep dyno cost down. As far as turbo lag? Yes and lots of it!! Its pretty sluggy until boost comes in. The turbine housing is a .86. We used a Q45 throttle body because the customers manifold was built to use the Q45 throttle body so we when with it, when it comes to the advantages of the Q45 throttle body, I would just say top end power??? It would have been fun to spend more time of the Dyno with this one but I’m sure at a later date we will.

If I can find the videos we took on the Dyno I will post them!! But it sound pretty mean!!

-wryann
supersayianjim

Re: RB20det Dyno Results

Post by supersayianjim »

effing wow. like night and day. my sad setup only makes 189hp.

well i needed to get this done and finally got to it. i knew my rb was slow. and to beat tough competition like shane i have to "power up". iam running this

-stock rb ecu
-whal 255 lph fuel pump
-fmic with 2.5 piping
-jwt intake cone
-j30 diff
-nismo fpr
-3"exhaust with no cat

and injectors are stock. i knew i was running pig rich even with the rb20 fuel pump. but had no idea it was this bad. gas mileage on the highway is 300 a tank. but in the city it's literally 200 a tank. thought it was the diff. but nope.

ryan of mkc informed me it is solely because iam lacking a tune. and i need to be leaned out a bit. he also said i had an extra 50 hp easy(right now). if i had a tune. so thats good news. also the sr20det guys when they swap in thier motors face the same thing of lacking a tune. i got the graphs and iam going to send them to my ecu guy so he can come up with something.

i wanted to put this on hold as i was going for mt 1jz swap but this demands more attention for the moment(trying to do both).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thTAoUlPVTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFhYU_ujP4